Friday, June 6, 2008

Stardust



I like Neil Gaiman well enough. Coraline is a fine example of his writing and I enjoyed it immensely. I think I was operating under the assumption that Stardust was likewise, a decent read for a fairly sophisticated 9 year old (of which I am possessed). Turns out, not so much.


Actually, to be fair, it probably would have been ok, but when I turn a page in the middle of what seems like a fairly innocuous scene of romance and have to stop dead in my tracks so as to avoid reading aloud “he brushed her firm nipples” to the aforementioned 9 year old… well I guess I just gave it up for lost at that point as far as she was concerned. besides, i think there’s a little too much unicorn death in it for the average adolescent girl.


Apart from that, it was an amusing enough romp. nothing very inventive here, but a decent way to pass a handful of hours.

No comments: