Monday, September 10, 2007

Camping is cool...


At least for the first 36 hours or so. As much as I love it, it will wear on me after a while. I don't really see myself out for weeks on end. Unless I was in a trailer.

We went up to Mt. Adams and stayed on Goose Lake. The campsite was GORGEOUS and very secluded. We had excellent shade and flat ground. My only real complaint is that the settling ash/dust from the volcano got in everything. Eyes, ears, nose, food, bedding, clothing, etc, etc. Oh, and that the thoughtless assholes who stayed there prior to us had the foul habit of leaving their waste paper strewn about the forest floor. It was as though some disgusting version of Hansel and Gretel were lost in the forest and needed some way to mark their trail back to camp. Bleah.

Aside from that, though, the trip was amazing. Weather was perfect, food was fantastic, company was great (I've finally met people who agree that if the fire is not as high as your head its not high enough!!!), scenery was breathtaking. Couldn't have been better really.

Went on what was undoubtedly the very best hike of my entire life. Up Crooked Creek and into the quintessential alpine meadow. I even yodeled for good measure. Nothing quite like hearing your voice echoing back at you from the mountaintop. We're planning to come back in mid-july next year and see the meadow in bloom. Might have to dig out my swiss miss costume and take amusing pictures...

No comments: